To be successful in this role, the candidate must be able to take direction well, execute tasks and manage projects efficiently and independently, and with exceptional attention to detail. The ideal candidate would be a team player, have the ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment, and possess the skill-set necessary to juggle competing priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously with a can-do attitude and minimal supervision. In order to meet the growing needs of the organization, the ideal candidate is someone who is skilled at anticipating the needs of others with the ability to synthesize information and create reports and documents for different audiences.
Young Women’s Freedom Center is seeking a full-time Operations Manager or Director based in San Francisco, who thrives in a fast-paced environment and excels at leading efforts to constantly and consistently improve the organization’s operational performance.
The Operations Manager/Director administers and supports the day-to-day functionality of the organization including; office and facility management, administrative support to the areas of development (fundraising/grants), human resources, and finance, as well as a liaison to the Board of Directors. The Operations Manager/Director works closely with the Administrative and Senior Executive teams to ensure that organization and office operations run smoothly. The ideal candidate will have a willingness to be hands-on in operational tasks and an ability to develop and grow sound operation, system, and finance policies and procedures.
The Young Women’s Freedom Center is a Leadership and Advocacy organization focused on building the personal and collective power of young women and trans youth of all genders who have been incarcerated and experienced life on the streets. YWFC creates opportunities for young folks to find their voice, build their power, gain skills and opportunities, and transform the conditions that keep them trapped in cycles of violence, poverty, and incarceration.
Operations & Administration:
- Ensure the organization has systems and procedures in place to support the organization’s work including; shared calendars, supply ordering, internal communications to create an efficient and an effective working environment.
- Coordinate all communication, and logistics related to the Board of Directors, including assisting Co-Executive Directors as needed.
- Manage facilities including organizational filing systems, equipment maintenance, general IT, data backup systems, Google Suite, general cleanliness, leasing with building landlords, and security and key inventory, etc.
- General administrative duties including; incoming/outgoing mail, business cards, travel booking and event planning, and management of organization’s phone system.
- Maintain lists of key operational procedures and updated vendors/organizational contacts and correspond with vendors, volunteers and contractors, assisting Directors as needed.
- Maintain accurate Human Resources files for all organizational departments. This includes employee recruitment, preparation of paperwork and orientation for new hires, compliance with all state and federal labor laws, and more.
- Serve as an internal expert and staff resource regarding YWFC operations and administrative policies and procedures.
- Administer YWFC’s benefits package; make recommendations for opportunities to enhance or adjust benefits provided; ensure staff are equipped to make sound decisions about benefits through training and one-on-one meetings.
- Maintain compliance with all Federal, State and local safety requirements related to the physical operations of the organization, employment laws and policies.
- Oversee off-boarding process for transitioning staff including compliance and work transfer.
Fund Development & Contracts Management:
- Collaborate with the Development Associate to maintain electronic and hard copies of development files; and ensure funding development tools are updated and shared on a monthly basis.
- Support with end of year fundraising and other fundraising events with Development Team.
- Engage donors and sponsors throughout the year through events and regular communications.
- Participate in organizational events, staff meetings, trainings, and staff development opportunities on an ongoing basis.
- Embody and model the values of the organization: Sisterhood, Self-determination, Social justice, and Spirituality.
- On an ongoing basis, work to ensure the organization’s mission, vision, and guiding principles are a guide to your work at the Center and that all program activities, curriculums, etc. are developed based on these principles.
- 2+ years in project management or at least 2+ years in a similar role
- 2+ years of administration experience
- Experience coordinating and implementing projects, developing work plans, and strategizing to solve problems.
- Detail-oriented with excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal, communication and writing skills.
- A entrepreneurial work ethic and a desire to “get the job done”
- Willingness to share own ideas, even among senior staff and board members
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Interest and commitment to enhancing the effectiveness of nonprofit organizations
- Meticulous attention to detail, high dependability and flexibility, and ability to work in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Must have own reliable transportation and excellent driving record upon hire and continued excellent driving record to meet employer’s insurance carrier’s standards.
- Job requires the ability to exert up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs. or force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force of up to 10 lbs. constantly to move or manipulate objects.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and thoughtful, one-page cover letter by using the form on this page.
We strongly encourage candidates who hold marginalized identities and nontraditional professional backgrounds to apply. Young Women’s Freedom Center does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information.
Application Deadline: Accepting Applications on a Rolling Basis Until Position Filled
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we’re not able to respond personally to every candidate. We do review every submission carefully and we will contact those who we’d like to interview.