Description of ReImagine Freedom Center:
Reimagine Freedom Center is the strategic home of the Freedom Charter and the umbrella organization for Young Women’s Freedom Center, Beloved Community Housing, Sister Warriors Freedom Coalition, and other emerging initiatives and organizations toward the liberation of women and girls and trans people of all genders most harmed by mass incarceration and racist and sexist policies.
As the anchor organization, Reimagine Freedom Center supports the backend infrastructure, including finance, operations, human resources, and communications, political, and narrative strategy. Under the leadership of the President and in partnership with the Executive Leadership team, the CFO will play a critical role in expanding the fiscal infrastructure and systems.
- Center the core mission of Reimagine Freedom and its affiliates, and ensure that all decisions and policies uphold the principles, values, and vision of the Freedom Charter.
- Develop and implement systems that support the scale and size of the organization, prioritizing accessibility for members, clients, and the organization’s base. This includes ensuring multiple ways to distribute funds, tools for the unbanked, and rapid response times, etc.
- Employ a racial equity and justice lens in your work.
- Invest in the leadership and development of other team members and the staff of affiliate organizations.
Core Aspects of Position:
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for all financial matters of the Organization and its affiliate organizations. The CFO will partner with the Senior Executive leadership and the Board of Directors to develop and implement strategies across the organization to build and strengthen the financial infrastructure of a rapidly growing organization. The CFO will oversee all compliance and recognition for government (federal and state) contracts and private grants and ensure that Executives have the tools they need for fiscal management and reporting. The CFO must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace while managing a finance staff and collaborating with Senior Executive Leadership.
- Oversee cash and cash flow planning, investment, and asset management
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans
- Provide quality data and reports to the President and Executive Leadership team to inform decision making
- Develop and provide information financial models for increasing and managing assets and supporting multiple organizations to be fiscally strong
Planning, Policy, and External Relations:
- Coordinate the development and monitoring of budgets as well as financial business plans and forecasts
- Participate in organization policy development as it relates to finance management as a member of the senior management team
- Engage senior management to develop short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections
- Represent the organization to existing and potential financial partners
Accounting and Administration:
- Oversee the migration and set up of, and manage new finance system and setup and operations of multiple organizations
- Oversee the accounting department to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function; supervise Reimagine Freedom’s finance staff.
- Ensure all team members are upholding GAAP principles and systems are in place to ensure top quality work and performance and compliance
- Act as the primary liaison with outside auditors and finance committees; lead audit planning, adoption of accounting policies, and the preparation and disclosure of financial statements. And work with accountants on tax planning.
The CFO must be a seasoned and mature leader with at least 7 plus years of experience in finance with demonstrated growth in leadership, ideally someone who has experience building complex businesses/ organizations, and has a deep understanding of audits and taxation. Experience gathering and evaluating financial information is also required. The CFO should have experience managing finances for a complex nonprofit with multiple funding sources including government (federal and state) contracts and an affiliate structure with diverse programs and additional income streams.
The CFO will have the following experience and attributes:
- At least 3 years experience as CFO or equivalent, preferably in a complex organization that has multiple affiliates and a track record of escalating knowledge of investment mechanisms.
- Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive leadership, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
- Must be able to work well with people from a diverse background and across organizational structure
- Must be excited about building new systems and have competent understanding of change management
- Believes in the mission and vision of the organization and uses the values and vision as the foundation for systems development, policies, practices, and decision making while upholding the highest standards for accounting and finance management
- Significant experience in or knowledge of accounting, including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting.
- Experience in non-profit and multi-entity organizations is desired but not required. Experience working with information technology staff of consultants to manage finance and accounting software packages.
How To Apply:
To apply for the Chief Financial Officer position at Reimagine Freedom Center, please send your resume and a thoughtful, one-page cover letter using the form on this page.
We strongly encourage candidates who hold marginalized identities and nontraditional professional backgrounds to apply. Reimagine Freedom Center does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, or genetic information
Application Deadline: Until Position is Filled
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we’re not able to respond personally to every candidate. We do review every submission carefully and we will contact those who we’d like to interview.